- Catch a Movie under the Stars: Throughout the summer a number of city parks screen films after dusk. Christie Pits, thanks to its natural bowl shape, is one of the best spots to settle in for an alfresco viewing party. Selections vary from classics like Casablanca to indie flicks like Before Sunrise.
- Listen to a Concert at the Toronto Music Garden: Cellist Yo-Yo Ma co-designed this serene space, which is intended to evoke Bach’s “First Suite for Unaccompanied Cello.” It’s easy on the eyes, but the best time to come here is for a summertime concert. Pure bliss.
- Stroll the Lakeside Boardwalk: You can choose from a number of starting points, but don’t miss the quirky parks, open-air concert venues, and wintertime skating rink near Harbourfront. Or venture east to the long boardwalk in the neighborhood known as the Beach, where you’ll share the lake views with locals and their many dogs and youngsters.
- See Great Museums at a Discount—or for Free: Admission to the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario has jumped since their massive renovations. However, you can pay less—or nothing—if you know when to go.
- Visit the Botanical Gardens: These stunningly planted plots occupy 4 acres within the Don Valley Ravine. Wander about the themed gardens and enjoy the blooms, or join one of the free, volunteer-run tours to learn about the various plants and Toronto’s rare Carolinian Forest.
- Check Out Ryerson Image Centre: Fans of photography shouldn't miss this spot, which is much more than the word "gallery" suggests. Not only is admission free, but the exhibits are thoughtful and detailed, and the permanent collection is fascinating—particularly for its wealth of works by female photographers such as Berenice Abbott, an early-20th-century American known for her portraits and landscapes, and British photographer Jo Spence, who used her work as a tool for social change in the 1970s and '80s.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.