On the western edge of town, off Calle del Obispo Coros, stands the Hospital of Santiago, designed by Andrés de Vandelvira and built between 1562 and 1576. It is still in use as a cultural venue, hosting concerts and containing a minor modern art museum. Over the main entryway is a carving of Santiago Matamoros (“St. James the Moorslayer”) in a traditional pose on horseback. Note the monumental staircase leading upstairs from the inner patio. The chapel holds some marvelous woodcarvings.
- Frommer's Staff