Virginia has too many fine, affordable lodgings to mention them all here. The following are some we like best.
- Richard Johnston Inn (Fredericksburg): Elegantly appointed rooms await in these two 18th-century homes across from historic Fredericksburg's visitor center.
- Frederick House (Staunton): A cross between a boutique hotel and a B&B, this collection of Victorian houses is in the heart of Staunton, a quick walk to both Woodrow Wilson's birthplace and the Blackfriars Playhouse.
- Inn at Gristmill Square (Warm Springs): A naturally warm spring used to turn the water wheel of the gristmill that makes up part of this comfortable inn. Some rooms are in an old barn and silo.
- Hampton Inn Col Alto (Lexington): No ordinary Hampton Inn, Col Alto is an 1827 manor house converted into a comfortable B&B-type hotel. Even if you stay in the modern motel buildings next door, you'll eat your continental breakfast in the period dining room.
- Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center (Roanoke): The grand, Tudor-style Hotel Roanoke stood in a wheat field when the Norfolk & Western Railroad built it in 1882. It was closed in 1989, but a $45-million renovation completely restored its grand public areas to their original appearance and rebuilt all its rooms to modern standards.
- Summerfield Inn (Abingdon): Ideally situated a block behind the Barter Theatre, this bed-and-breakfast offers spacious rooms in a converted carriage house, one with a two-person hot tub and walk-in shower.
- Linden Row Inn (Richmond): This row of Victorian-era town houses has been renovated but not restored, which has left the rooms with 12-foot ceilings, a mix of late Empire and Victorian pieces, and marble-top dressers.
- The Fife & Drum Inn (Williamsburg): Upstairs over the stores of Merchants Square, this charming bed-and-breakfast has Williamsburg's Historic Area right out its front door. For those who can't handle climbing up the stairs, owners Billy and Sharon Scruggs, themselves Williamsburg natives, have a Colonial-style cottage to rent around the corner.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.