Virginia has many clean, comfortable motels of the budget-chain variety. But for something a little more special, check out the following choices.
- Inn at the Olde Silk Mill (Fredericksburg): Don't be surprised to see Blues and Grays toting Civil War rifles in the lobby; this place is very popular with reenactors. The rooms are laden with antiques.
- Cavalier Inn at the University (Charlottesville): The University of Virginia owns and spotlessly maintains this older motel, a half-mile west of the Rotunda, the center of campus.
- Big Meadows & Skyland lodges (Shenandoah National Park): With stunning views from atop the Blue Ridge Mountains, these two rustic but charming inns are surprisingly affordable. Just be sure to reserve as early as possible.
- Llewellyn Lodge (Lexington): This B&B within an easy walk of Lexington's many attractions is made special by owners John and Ellen Roberts, who willingly share their knowledge not only of the town but also the surrounding wilderness.
- Luray Caverns Motel West (Luray): This old-fashioned motel sits across the highway from the famous Luray Caverns. The motel is owned, operated, and spotlessly maintained by the same folks that operate the caverns.
- Roseloe Motel (Hot Springs): You don't have to pay a fortune to stay at the Homestead when you can bunk for much less at the Roseloe, a clean, 1950s-style motel across U.S. 220 from the Garth Newel Chamber Music Center. Warm Springs is a short drive, and you can pay much less than the cost of a room to use the Homestead's recreational facilities.
- Colony House Motor Lodge (Roanoke): This older but clean and very well-maintained motel is convenient to both downtown Roanoke and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Doors to the rooms have louvers to let in fresh air but not light -- an unusual touch for any inexpensive hotel.
- Belvedere Resort Motel (Virginia Beach): With the Atlantic Ocean out its back door, this comfortable, clean establishment is one of the last family-owned motels among a multitude of chain properties lining the Virginia Beach oceanfront.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.