Montana and Wyoming have long been known for world-class fly-fishing, their streams and creeks teeming with native trout -- rainbow, brook, brown, mackinaw, golden, and cutthroat -- as well as kokanee salmon, yellow perch, largemouth bass, and northern pike. Warm-water species include sauger, channel catfish, and smallmouth bass. Best places to fish in Montana: on any one of the world-class, blue-ribbon streams in the southwest part of the state. In Wyoming, head for the waters of the North Platte River near Saratoga and the Miracle Mile, or the high lakes of the Wind River Indian Reservation.

Fishing Licenses

Both Montana and Wyoming require fishing licenses, which are available from most sporting goods stores, outfitters, or tackle shops. Yellowstone National Park requires an additional fishing permit, and American Indian tribes located in the two states have special regulations and may require permits for fishing in their waters.

In Montana, all nonresident anglers 15 and older are required to buy fishing licenses. Those 14 and under do not need a fishing license as long as they are with an adult who has a valid fishing license. A license for the period of March through the following February is $60. A consecutive 2-day license is $15. In addition to fishing licenses, however, nonresident anglers of all ages must also possess conservation licenses, which cost $10 each. For information, contact the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, 1420 E. 6th Ave., Helena, MT 59620 (tel. 406/444-2535;

You'll also need a Wyoming state fishing license if you plan to fish that state's waters. An adult nonresident license costs $14 per day and $92 for the season. Youth fees (ages 14-18) are $3 per day and $15 for the season. A $13 Conservation Stamp is also required for all licenses except the 1-day variety. No license is required for kids 13 and under, as long as they are accompanied by an adult who has a valid fishing license. You'll also have to check creel limits, which vary from year to year and place to place. Information is available from the Wyoming Game and Fish Department (tel. 307/777-4600;

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.