37km (23 miles) N of Kassel, 15km (9.3 miles) S of Höxter, 42km (26 miles) N of Hann. Münden
This is a spa town built in the baroque style in 1699 by the Huguenots and lying at the confluence of the Diemel and Weser rivers. Its baroque buildings rise grandly in stark white.
Americans are fascinated to learn that German troops embarked from here to join the English forces in the American War of Independence. Barges took these troops down the Weser to Bremen, where they shipped out to try to prevent the United States from declaring its independence.
Its major building is the Rathaus at Hafenplatz 8 (now the center for tourist information).