Rising above the Altstadt is the massive tower of the 14th-century Stadtkirche (tel. 05621/4011), the most impressive (and oldest) structure in the town, with interesting Hallenkirch architecture. It was restored in 1995. The highlight of the church is its remarkable Niederwildungen Altarpiece, one of the best examples of early German painting. Painted in 1403 by Master Konrad von Soest, the wing-paneled altarpiece contains a large, dramatic scene of the crucifixion, flanked by six smaller scenes from the life of Christ. The work shows a French influence in the use of delicate colors and figures, made even more vivid by the use of actual gold. The church is open daily 10:30am to noon and 2 to 5pm.
The spa gardens augment the town's natural wooded surroundings with carefully planted flowers from all parts of the world, as well as with several attractive buildings, including two band shells where outdoor concerts are frequently given. The grounds are dotted with lawn chairs. The modern horseshoe-shaped arcade houses the George-Viktor Spring, plus several exclusive shops and a small auditorium.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.