advertisement

Barcelona had one of the most robust Jewish communities in Iberia from the 12th century until 1391, when the community in the heart of the Barri Gòtic came under siege. Six centuries of absence have wiped away most evidence of Jewish presence, but since the 1990s, a concerted effort by scholars and community activists has helped establish the old limits of the Call and has begun to restore the remains of the principal synagogue. The main street of the Call (a Jewish word meaning “small street” and closely related to the modern Spanish “calle” and Catalan “carrer”) was Carrer de Sant Domènc, where the great synagogue, the kosher butcher’s shop, and the homes of the leading Jewish citizens were located. An information center and display of artifacts recovered through excavations is operated by the Associació Call de Barcelona in a shop above the remains of the Sinagoga Mayor.