advertisement

Three pretty, contiguous plazas surround the 15th-century church of Santa María del Pi ★, which is acclaimed for its rose window; at 10m (33 ft.) in diameter, it is considered one of the world’s largest. Destroyed at the beginning of the Civil War in 1936, it was slowly restored in the 1950s and is the only window in the basilica to retain its original 14th-century design. It shows the 24 Elders of the Apocalypse with the coats of arms of the church and the Counts of Barcelona. The pews of the church sit on the stones marking graves in the floor. Don’t let the skull and crossbones motifs disturb your prayer. During the summer, the church also operates a series of concerts in the basilica’s so-called “Secret Garden,” with programs that can range from pop music to Vivaldi and include a tour of the church museum. The main square out front is the official Plaça del Pi, but Plaça de Sant Josep Oriol adjoins it and flows behind the church to tiny Placeta del Pi. The squares are known for the unusual sgraffito decorative technique on the plaster facades of several buildings, an 18th-century style imported from Italy. But the leafy squares are also popular for the weekend artisans’ market and open-air cafe-bars.