Built by the trade guilds rather than the nobility, this church is the city’s most harmonious example of the Catalan Gothic style. Construction began in 1329 and was more or less finished in 1383 (the bell towers were added in 1496 and 1902). Three soaring naves are supported by wide-spaced columns that bloom like thick stalks as they reach the ceiling. Stained glass windows throughout fill the church with light during the day. Guided tours of the roof and towers are available daily, weather permitting.
- Frommer's Staff