- Dive, dive, dive. This will spoil you for all other dive experiences. Every dive operator is top-rate, so go with the one closest to your resort for convenience's sake. Some of the best diving is near Klein Bonaire, and boat dives are easier than navigating the roads and rocky shores on your own. Try a night dive to see the reef in an entirely new light (or lack thereof).
- Snorkel with scads of sea turtles. Not a diver? No problem. Don a mask and flippers and meet Captain Mike at Karel's Beach Bar. He'll take you to the best turtle snorkel spot in the Caribbean with an expert turtle spotting guide. I lost track after my sixth sighting of these graceful beauties, and that was after only half an hour in the water!
- Dally with the darling donkeys. Where else can you get so much lovin' from so many furry admirers? The donkey sanctuary is a veritable hotbed of happy donkeys whose only goal in life is to stick their nose in your face and say hello. Young and old alike can't resist the urge to smile, pat, and giggle when bombarded by a bustling band of bold burros.
- Marvel at the mangroves. Kayaking through the unspoiled mangrove forest and exploring this unique ecosystem is a relaxing yet exhilarating way to spend an active afternoon. Snorkels and fins allow you to really see what goes on beneath the surface. Keep an eye out for birds, crabs, fish, and snails.
- Descend into the darkest depths. Inside the many caves that permeate the island, stalactites and stalagmites come in fanciful shapes while new formations sparkle like a mountain of sugar crystals. The occasional bat adds to the excitement; and if you do some cave snorkeling, you'll get to meet the friendly shrimp that reign in this kingdom.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.