Opened in summer 2014, this museum is a welcome oasis of history and culture in the Riffort shopping, dining, and entertainment complex. It honors the history of the Rif Fort itself, which guarded the harbor against marauders and enemy forces for nearly a century. Constructed in 1828, the Rif Fort was the work of Dutch engineer Baron Krayenhoff, outfitted with walls nearly a foot thick, 56 cannons, and 27 arches. Over the years it has served as a prison, a police headquarters, and even, rumor has it, as a brothel. In the early 20th century, it was used as a radio tower. The museum is built inside the handsome boogjes (loops) and pebbled stone arches of the fort, and features interactive exhibits on the island's history.