550km (342 miles) NW of London; 346km (215 miles) NW of Cardiff; 305km (190 miles) N of Swansea
The largest town on Anglesey, Holyhead (it's pronounced Holly-head -- don't ask us why) is not actually on Anglesey at all but on Holy Island. However, the two islands have long been linked. Packet boats between Holyhead and Ireland were recorded as far back at 1573.
The harbor of Holyhead was reconstructed in 1880 and now serves as a terminal for container-bearing ships.
People have come to this far point of northern Wales for a long, long time by water. Celtic invaders, early Christian missionaries, Romans, Vikings -- whoever -- have made their way here, and in many cases stayed on for centuries.