- Brennecke's Beach Bungalow (tel. 888/393-4646): Attention honeymooners (or honeymooner wannabes): This is your place -- so close to Poipu Beach that you can see it from your private lanai (about a 45-sec. walk from the front door to the waves). Tucked into a large two-story house is this private-entrance studio decorated with bamboo floors, maple cabinets, and lots of Hawaiian decor. This studio also has a small kitchenette (microwave, toaster oven, blender, coffeemaker, and fridge), cozy sitting area, and a comfortable bed. Outdoors there's a beach shower, barbecue area, and a big, green lawn. Restaurants, dining, tennis, and golf are just minutes away. Starting at $150 per night.
- Ellie's Koloa House (tel. 800/779-8773): This two-bedroom/two-bathroom home, surrounded by tropical gardens, is for the traveler who wants a "real" Hawaii experience living in a residential area among locals. The house (with full kitchen) has antique furniture re-covered in old Hawaiian print fabric, paddle fans to keep the house cool, TV, washer and dryer, and barbecue. Just a mile and a half to the beach and within walking distance to Koloa town's shops and restaurants. Prices are $125 and up.
- Garden Island Inn (tel. 800/648-0154): Centrally located (a couple of miles from the airport, walking distance to the beach), this small inn has comfortable accommodations at budget prices (from $99).
- Kalaheo Inn (tel. 888/332-6023): What a deal! This boutique inn, located in the community of Kalaheo (10 min. to the beach, walking distance to great restaurants) is comfy, clean, and terrific for families. Prices start at $83.
- Kauai Cove (tel. 800/624-9945): These immaculate cottages, located just 300 feet from Koloa Landing and next to Waikomo Stream, are the perfect private getaway. Each studio has a full kitchen, a private lanai (with barbecue grill), and a big bamboo four-poster bed. The cozy rooms feature beautiful hardwood floors, tropical decor, and cathedral ceilings. The cottages are close enough for walks to sandy beaches, great restaurants, and shopping, yet far enough off the beaten path that privacy and quiet are assured. From $99 a night.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.