The cathedral was begun in 1273 and took years to complete. The choir was finished in 1327, but work continued in the nave until almost 1890. The cathedral is the only one in the old province of Limousin built entirely in the Gothic style. The main entrance is through Porte St-Jean, which has carved wooden doors from the 16th century (constructed at the peak of the Flamboyant Gothic style). Inside, the nave appears so harmonious it’s hard to imagine that its construction took six centuries. The rood screen is of particular interest, built in 1533 in the ornate style of the Italian Renaissance. The cathedral also contains some bishops’ tombs from the 14th to the 16th centuries.
pl. de l’Evêché, France
Our Rating Neighborhood Around Town Hours Mon–Sat 2:30–5pm, Sun 2:30–6pm Phone 05-55-34-46-87 Prices Free admission
Mappl. de l’Evêché France Limoges
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.