- Brimfield Antique Shows (Brimfield, MA): The otherwise sleepy town west of Sturbridge erupts with three monster antiques shows every summer, in mid-May, mid-July, and early September. More than 5,000 dealers set up tented and tabletop shops in fields around town.
- Charles Street (Boston, MA): Beacon Hill is one of Boston’s oldest neighborhoods, and at the foot of the hill is a thoroughfare where hundreds of years’ worth of furniture, collectibles, and accessories jam shops along 5 blocks. River Street, which parallels Charles (follow Chestnut Street 1 block), is worth a look, too.
- Essex, Main Street (MA): The treasures on display in this North Shore town run the gamut, from one step above yard sale to rare and impressive. Follow Route 133 through downtown and north almost all the way to the Ipswich border.
- Kittery to Scarborough/Route 1 (ME): Antiques scavengers delight in this stretch of less-than-scenic Route 1, scattered with antiques mini-malls, high-end galleries, and antiquarian bookstores. Old House Parts Co. in Kennebunk is worth a detour.
- The Old King’s Highway/Route 6A (Cape Cod, MA): Antiques buffs, as well as architecture and country-road connoisseurs, will have a field day along scenic Route 6A. Designated a Regional Historic District, this former stagecoach route winds through a half-dozen charming villages and is lined with scores of antiques shops. The largest concentration is in Brewster, but you’ll find good pickings all along this meandering road, from Sandwich to Orleans.
- Portsmouth (NH): Picturesque downtown Portsmouth is home to a half-dozen or so antiques stores and some fine used-book shops. For more browsing, head about 25 miles northwest to Northwood, where more good-size shops flank the highway.
- Woodbury (CT): More than 35 high-end dealers along Main Street offer a diversity of precious treasures, near-antiques, and simply funky old stuff. American and European furniture and other pieces are most evident, but there are forays into crafts and assorted whimsies.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.