- Río Mar Beach Resort & Spa: A Wyndham Grand Resort (Río Grande; tel. 787/888-6000): Two world-class golf courses are located here in the shadow of El Yunque rainforest along a dazzling stretch of coast. The entire 6,782 yards (6,201m) of Tom and George Fazio's Ocean Course has seaside panoramas and breezes, and fat iguanas scampering through the lush grounds. The other course, a 6,945-yard (6,351m) design by golf pro Greg Norman, follows the flow of the Mameyes River through mountain and coastal vistas. The resort is a 30-minute drive from San Juan on the northeast coast. Wind is often a challenge here.
- Dorado Beach Resort & Club (Dorado; tel. 787/796-8961 or 787/626-1006): With 72 holes, Dorado has the highest concentration of golf on the island. The legendary Dorado Beach and Cerromar hotels run by Hyatt are now gone, but the four courses and other facilities -- spectacular tennis courts, pools, and beaches -- live on. There are two luxury hotels on the site now under development. Of the courses, Dorado East is the favorite. Designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr., it was the site of the Senior PGA Tournament of Champions throughout the 1990s. True tennis buffs head here, too. The Dorado courts are the best on the island.
- El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa (Fajardo; tel. 787/863-1000): This sprawling resort on Puerto Rico's northeast corner is one of the island's finest tennis retreats, with seven Har-Tru courts and a pro on hand to offer guidance and advice. If you don't have a partner, the hotel will find one for you. There are also outstanding golf facilities as well.
- Palmas del Mar Country Club (Humacao; tel. 787/285-2221): Lying on the east coast on the grounds of a former coconut plantation, the Palmas del Mar resort boasts the second-leading course in Puerto Rico -- a par-72, 6,803-yard (6,221m) layout designed by Gary Player. Some crack golfers consider holes 11 through 15 the toughest five successive holes in the Caribbean. There's also an 18-hole championship-caliber course designed by Rees Jones. The Palmas del Mar Tennis Club meanwhile boasts the largest facilities in the Caribbean, and it has recently begun to host large-prize pro tournaments.
- Trump International Golf Club (Río Grande; tel. 787/657-2000): Located on 1,200 acres (486 hectares) of glistening waterfront, there are two recently improved 18-hole golf courses designed by Tom Kite that allow you to play in the mountains, along the ocean, among the palms, and in between the lakes. Its bunkers are carved from white silica sand. Real estate magnate Donald Trump, in conjunction with local developer Empresas Díaz, Inc., is in the initial stages of developing some 500 luxury residences here.