Most every major world cuisine is available in this cosmopolitan city/region, and the same goes for restaurant types. So which are the best? That's a moving target, of course, but we are particularly fond of the following eateries:
- For Mexican Food: The Red Cabbage Cafe gives diners a whirlwind tour through both Mexican heritage and cuisine. There's classic mole from Puebla; stuffed poblano peppers with raisins, meat, and a creamy walnut sauce; and even menu items from recipes that artists Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera were known to cook. All of this good eating takes place in a small room that doubles as an art installation, every inch of its walls plastered with news clippings, movie posters, photos, and paintings about the icons of Mexican culture.
- For French Food: Put youself in the capable hands of chef/owner Thierry Blouet, who was raised and trained in France before returning to his native country to open Cafe des Artistes. That will result in a meal of French classics—with some twists—in a setting that couldn't be more romantic, with sweeping hilltop views and a room adorned in fresh flowers and dangling, tear-drop crystals.
- For Asian Food: Archie's Wok is the place. The eponymous Archie first came to Puerto Vallarta as film director John Huston's personal chef (he was here to do The Night of the Iguana). Archie fell in love and returned in 1986 to start this restaurant. Today his family ably carries on the business, presenting authentic versions of Southeast Asian favorites in a serene setting.
- For Drinks (and a Meal) at Sunset: Overlooking the water, Daiquiri Dick's is a swell spot to be as the sun drops into the ocean. Toast the evening with one of the many fine daiquiris on offer, sided by their excellent guacamole and chips, and you'll soon be toasting what a lovely vacation you've had.
- For Dinner and a Show: At Le Fort, that show involves watching award-winning chef Gilles LeFort prepare the meal for your exclusive group (the restaurant seats only 16 each evening at one long table). The chef and his wife join the diners for the meal, making it all feel like a dinner party rather than a restaurant meal. A truly unique dining experience.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.