Only steps from the grandly carved main entrance of the University, this attractive little museum is packed with religious art confiscated from convents and monasteries in the mid–19th century. Most of the churches from which the 15th- to 17th-century carvings and paintings were taken no longer exist, and in a few cases, the art is exhibited with the altar or niche from its original church. The contrast between rude architecture and polished artistry is striking—a reminder that for rural people, the church was often the most beautiful thing in their lives. One highlight is a golden Churrigueresque altarpiece crafted between 1697 and 1704. In addition to the permanent collections, the museum has begun a very active program of thematic exhibitions combining pieces from its collection with works borrowed from other municipal and regional museums around the region of Castilla y León.
- Frommer's Staff