- Best Place to Rub Shoulders with Locals: Paesanos in Alamo Heights has long been San Antonio’s go-to spot for special occasions, family gatherings, and anytime hankerings for great Italian food. Don’t miss the signature Shrimp Paesano’s. There’s a branch on the River Walk, but locals mostly stick to the original.
- Best Movable Feast: It used to be that you could dine on the water only if you were with a group, but among the restaurants that now offer dinner cruise reservations to individuals and couples, Boudro’s tops the meals-on-river-barge-wheels list.
- Best Place for Fat Expense Accounts: If you need to wine and dine someone in San Antonio, whether for business or personal reasons, Bohanan’s is there for you. Not only is it one of the best steakhouses in Texas, but it completely looks the part—soft lights, white tablecloths, lots of dark woodwork, and a serious wine list.
- Best Place to Dine with Music: Savor creative South American, Mexican, and Caribbean fare at Southtown’s Azuca, while tapping your feet to salsa, merengue, and other Latin sounds.
- Best Blast from the Past: Schilo’s not only serves up German deli in portions that date back to pre-cholesterol-conscious days, but also maintains prices from that era.
- Best Fine Dining Kept Simple: It’s a tie: Both Silo, one of the first New American restaurants in town, and Bliss, a Southtown favorite run by Silo’s first executive chef, pull off upscale dining without ostentation or unnecessary fuss. This is creative cooking at its finest, with enough variety to please just about everyone, while steering clear of weirdly worded descriptions and one-upmanship.
- Best Cross-Cultural Experience: Peru and Asia may not strike you as a natural culinary coupling, but Botika makes it seems like a match made in food heaven. Chef/owner Geronimo Lopez, a former instructor at San Antonio’s Culinary Institute of America, is adept at combinations that complement the flavors and textures of both cultures.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.