- The Handbook of Texas Online (www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online): This encyclopedic site offers concise entries that explain who’s who, what’s what, and where’s where in Texas. It’s easy to use and has information on just about everything, from the locations of towns and counties to explanations of some of the state’s legends, plus biographical data on the many characters who left their mark on Texas history.
- Travel Texas (www.traveltex.com): The state’s official tourism website provides a good general overview of everything you want to know about the state—divided by region, city, geography, interests such as food or art, lodging types . . . you name it. Under the “Travel Tools” tab, click on “Travel Deals” to find the featured discount coupons, primarily for attractions.
- Texas Monthly (www.texasmonthly.com): You won’t necessarily find San Antonio stories on the Texas Monthly site, but the state’s best magazine—and one of the best geographically focused publications in the country—offers in-depth treatments of lots of interesting topics. And the site often highlights hot new San Antonio and Austin dining spots.
Drive Texas (www.drivetexas.org): Created by the Texas Department of Transportation, this site is devoted to traffic conditions all over the state. It’s an invaluable resource to check before you hit the road.
- www.MySanAntonio.com: The website of the city’s only mainstream newspaper, the San Antonio Express-News, not only provides the daily news but also links to dining reviews and entertainment listings.
- www.SanAntonio.gov: The City of San Antonio’s website offers timely information on such topics as traffic and street closures, accessibility, and so on. The “Visitors” section is a good place to find out about city-sponsored arts events, public parks, and such city-run cultural attractions as La Villita, Market Square, and the Spanish Governor’s Palace.
- www.VisitSanAntonio.com: You’re not going to get honest critiques of hotels and attractions on the tourism bureau’s comprehensive website; you are going to get useful links to many of them, however, plus an excellent overview of what the city has to offer. Easy to navigate and comprehensive, this is one of the best visitor information sites around.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.