407km (253 miles) N of Madrid, 47km (29 miles) SE of Pamplona
Sangüesa is on the left bank of the Aragón River, at the Aragonese frontier. A monumental town in its own right, Sangüesa can also serve as a base for excursions in the area, including visits to some of Navarre's major attractions, such as Javier Castle and the monastery at Leyre.
Long known to the Romans, Sangüesa was later involved in the battle against Muslim domination in the 10th century. It has seen many wars, including occupation by supporters of Archduke Charles of Austria in 1710 and many a skirmish during the Carlist struggles of the 19th century. On several occasions it has been the seat of Navarre's parliament. Pilgrims crossing northern Spain to Santiago de Compostela stopped at Sangüesa.