- The Galloway Region: Southwestern Scotland doesn't draw the most visitors, but its beauty is unrivaled. A land of fields, verdant forests, and mist-shrouded hills, Galloway offers endless biking possibilities. All tourist offices in the area carry Cycling in Dumfries and Galloway, which describes the best routes. A free leaflet published by the Scottish Forest Enterprise gives trail routes through the various forests.
- The Isle of Arran: The largest of the Clyde Islands, Arran has been called "Scotland in miniature." And indeed, if you don't have time to see the whole country, you can get a preview of its various regions by biking this island. The northern part is mountainous, like the Highlands, while the south, with scenery akin to the Borders, resembles the Lowlands. The full circuit around the island takes about 9 hours. The tourist office distributes the free Cycling on Arran, which indicates the best routes.
- The Trossachs: Scotland's most scenic stretch for biking (not to mention for driving and bucolic walks) is the Trossachs, famed as Rob Roy MacGregor country. The ideal biking spot is along Loch Katrine, 16km (10 miles) long and 3km (1 3/4 miles) at its widest.
- Glencoe: Site of a famous 1692 massacre, Glencoe features stark and grandiose mountain scenery. Rent a bike in the village and embark on an adventure, though you're likely to get rained on, as some 100 inches of rain a year are recorded. But as one local said, "Biking through Glencoe in the rain is when it's at its most mystical—we Scots have done that for years."
- The Isle of Skye: Part of the Hebrides, Skye is the land of the Cuillins, a brooding mountain range you see at every turn as you pedal along. The most unusual place to bike is the 32km (20-mile) Trotternish Peninsula. It's known for its odd rock formations, and its coastal road passes an area of beautiful but often rocky seascapes, opening onto Loch Snizort and the Sound of Raasay.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.