There are no Disney Worlds or other such attractions in the islands. That's not to say that children won't have a fine time, for more resorts are making provisions for families. Kids will enjoy themselves most if they like being around the water.
A family can vacation in style and comfort at resorts like the big resorts on Denarau Island in Fiji, or Shangri-la's Fijian Resort on the Coral Coast, but here are some of the best smaller establishments that welcome families.
- Castaway Island Resort (Mamanuca Islands, Fiji): One of Fiji's oldest resorts but thoroughly refurbished, Castaway has plenty to keep both adults and children occupied, from a wide array of watersports to a kids' playroom and a nursery. There's even a nurse on duty.
- Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort (Savusavu, Fiji): The South Pacific's finest family resort encourages parents to enroll their kids in an exceptional environmental education program. It keeps the youngsters educated and entertained from sunup to bedtime.
- Le Meridien Bora Bora (Bora Bora, French Polynesia): Most resorts in French Polynesia are designed for romance, not children. The notable exception is Le Meridien Bora Bora, which has a shallow, lakelike lagoon where children can safely swim with young sea turtles bred in the resort's conservation program.
- St. Regis Resort Bora Bora (Bora Bora, French Polynesia): Well-heeled children will feel right at home playing in the St. Regis's state-of-the-art Hono Iti (Little Turtle) kids' club, where computers come equipped with high-speed Internet access and educational software.
- The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa (Rarotonga, Cook Islands): Rising like a phoenix after years of neglect, this is now the best international-standard resort on Rarotonga. Although it caters to everyone from honeymooners to families, the children's program is tops in the Cook Islands.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.