Top 10 Souvenirs of Spain
1. A tin of saffron. In most countries it is hard to find saffron in anything larger than 1-gram vials. In Spanish markets or specialty shops, you can buy it in containers of 5, 10, 20, and even 50 grams. It's still a splurge, but much less expensive than buying it at home.
2. An embroidered shawl from Andalucía. While you're in Sevilla, observe local women to learn how this accessory can become a major fashion statement.
3. A Basque beret. More structured than the French beret, a Basque beret is usually made of waterproof wool with a soft leather headband. Ideally, it should be purchased in Basque Country from a man who never takes his off.
4. A ceramic olive serving bowl. These bowls have a separate small compartment for placing the pits. Some also have another compartment to hold toothpicks. It will be a great conversation piece at your next dinner party.
5. A beautiful forged kitchen knife from Toledo. Toledo steel has been the standard to swear by since knights carried Toledo blades into battle during the Crusades. Blade makers in Toledo now make fabulous kitchen cutlery. Be sure to pack your purchase into a checked bag to fly home.
6. A bullfight poster. Any souvenir shop will print your name on a generic poster. Instead, go to the gift shop at a major bullring for exquisite reproductions of posters from recent seasons. A proper bullfight poster is a uniquely Spanish art genre.
7. A Lladro porcelain figurine. The firm is a 20th-century invention, but the style harks back to the fine workmanship of 18th-century porcelain.
8. Canvas espadrilles with rope soles. This summer classic never goes out of style, and Spaniards make them in both casual and high-fashion editions.
9. Team jersey from Barcelona FC or Real Madrid. Football (soccer) is practically a state religion, and these two teams are the most popular in Spain and among the best in the world. State your preference with your jersey.
10. Paella pan. It’s so flat and thin that it easily slips into a suitcase. Now you can use that saffron.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.