- 15 B.C. The Romans conquer the Helvetii and other resident alpine tribes.
- 455 A.D. Barbarian invasions begin.
- 742-814 Charlemagne incorporates much of what is now Switzerland into his enormous empire.
- 1291 Three cantons form the Perpetual Alliance, the germ of today's Swiss Confederation.
- 1439 The confederation breaks free of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1516 The confederates (Eidgenossen) proclaim their neutrality.
- 1798 The French Revolution brings an invasion of radical forces and ideas, and the old confederation collapses.
- 1803 Napoleon Bonaparte establishes a new 19-canton confederation, with relatively enlightened social policies.
- 1814-15 The Congress of Vienna guarantees the national boundaries and neutrality of Switzerland.
- 1848 The Swiss adopt a federal constitution, still in force today; Bern is recognized as the capital.
- 1914 Switzerland declares its neutrality at the outbreak of World War I.
- 1918 Swiss workers stage the only general strike the country has ever known.
- 1920 Switzerland joins the League of Nations, offering space for a headquarters at Geneva.
- 1939 Fearing an invasion by Nazi Germany, the country orders a total mobilization of its air and ground forces.
- 1939-45 Remaining neutral, despite its laundering of Nazi gold, Switzerland becomes a haven for escaping prisoners of war and avoids direct conflicts.
- 1948 Switzerland introduces broad-based social reforms, including the funding of old-age pensions.
- 1986 The Swiss electorate votes against membership in the United Nations.
- 1992 By a close vote, the Swiss reject ties to an economically integrated Europe.
- 1996-97 Critics around the world attack Switzerland's role as a World War II banker for the Nazi war effort.
- 1998 Three Swiss banks agree to a $1.25-billion fund to be distributed among Holocaust victims.
- 2000 Swiss voters agree to closer E.U. link.
- 2002 Swiss abandon isolation to join the U.N.
- 2004 Switzerland called a "terror way station" for Al Qaeda suspects who used the country as a base.
- 2007 Swiss celebrates 50th anniversary of voting rights for women.
- 2010 Women take control of executive branch of the government.3 Switzerland's Art & Architecture
Top Places to Go in 2018 The Best of the Caribbean The Best of Mexico Cruise Inspiration: Top Picks All Destinations »
Cruise Inspiration: Top Picks The Best of the Caribbean The Best of Mexico Cruise Inspiration: Top Picks All Trip Ideas »
Deals & Bookings
Tips & News
How to Craft the Perfect Itinerary for Any Destination
Air Travel Cruise News Entry Requirements & Customs Car, Bus, Rail News Money & Fees Health, Insurance, SecurityFAQs Frommer's Translator Store All Tips & News »