The Web makes it simple to do additional research before you leave home. The following sites provide a range of information:
- www.kultur.gov.tr is the official site of the Turkish Ministry of Culture and an excellent source for information and links to the country's major arts events.
- www.tourismturkey.org is the website of the Ministry of Tourism.
- www.hurriyetdailynews.com, www.todayszaman.com, www.aa.com.tr (Anadolu Ajansi, the state-run agency) and www.turkishpress.com, the sites for Turkey's English-language dailies, allow you to plug in to real-time issues.
- www.mymerhaba.com is for expatriates by expatriates, but it's useful to eavesdrop on them, too.
- http://cat.une.edu.au is a handy little resource that holds compiled information on all archaeological work being conducted in Turkey.
- www.byzantium1200.com provides an illustrated anthology of Byzantine sites in Istanbul.
- www.tavairports.com is operated by the company that manages Turkey's major airports.