This This magnificent palazzo overlooking the Grand Canal, the “golden house,” was built between 1428 and 1430 for the noble Contarini family. Baron Giorgio Franchetti bought the place in 1894, and it now serves as an atmospheric gallery for his exceptional art collection (mostly early Renaissance Italian and Flemish). The highlight is “St. Sebastian” by Paduan artist Andrea Mantegna, displayed in its own marble side chapel. The so-called “St. Sebastian of Venice” was the third and final painting of the saint by Mantegna, created around 1490 and quite different to the other two (in Vienna and Paris); it’s a bold, deeply pessimistic work, with none of Mantegna’s usual background details to detract from the saint’s suffering. Don’t miss also the three panels from Carpaccio’s “Stories of the Virgin” series on the first floor.
Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca’ d’Oro
Strada Nuova 3932
Our Rating Hours Mon 8:15am–2pm; Tues–Sat 8:15am–7:15pm; Sun 9am–7pm. Transportation Vaporetto: Ca’ d’Oro Phone 041-520-0345 Prices 11€, plus 1.50€ reservation fee (higher during special exhibitions). Web site Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca’ d’Oro