advertisement

Built from 1724 to 1743 to mirror the Redentore across the wide Canale della Giudecca, this Dominican church counters the Palladian sobriety of the Redentore with rococo flair. The interior is graced by airy 1737–39 ceiling frescoes (some of the first in Venice) by Giambattista Tiepolo. Tiepolo also did the “Virgin in Glory with Saints Rosa,” “Catherine of Siena,” and “Agnes of Montepulciano” on the first altar on the right. The third altar on the left has a severe Tintoretto “Crucifixion.”