advertisement

Like many medieval saints, French-born St. Rocco (St. Roch) died young, but thanks to his work healing the sick in the 14th-century, his cult became associated with the power to cure the plague and other serious illnesses. When the saint’s body was brought to Venice in 1485, this scuola began to reap the benefits, and by 1560 the current complex was completed, work beginning soon after on more than 50 major paintings by Tintoretto. This scuola is primarily a shrine to the skills of Tintoretto, one of the city’s acknowledged grand masters of the paintbrush but an artist that often divides critics. Begin at the upper story, the Sala dell’Albergo, where an entire wall is smothered by Tintoretto’s mind-blowing “Crucifixion” (as well as his “Glorification of St. Roch,” the painting that actually won him the contract to paint the scuola). In the chapterhouse, Old Testament scenes adorn the ceiling: “Moses Striking Water from the Rock,” “The Miracle of the Brazen Serpent” and “The Miraculous Fall of Manna.” The paintings around the walls, based on the New Testament, are generally regarded as a master class of perspective, shadow, and color. The paintings on the lower floor were created much later in the 1580s, led by one of the most frenzied “Annunciations” ever painted, while “The Flight into Egypt” is undeniably one of Tintoretto’s greatest works.