If you're a serious party animal, you'll want to avoid St. John and most places in the British Virgin Islands, and concentrate on St. Thomas and St. Croix. Below are the latest hot spots:
- Reichhold Center for the Arts (St. Thomas; tel. 340/693-1559; www.uvi.edu/reichhold): This artistic center, badly damaged in 2017 but rebuilt, is the premier performing arts venue in the Caribbean. Some of the world's greatest companies, such as the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, have performed here. Check locally to see what's happening.
- Turtle Rock Bar (St. Thomas; tel. 340/777-7100): This place, near Red Hook, is known for its burgers and mild bar scene. There's always something going on, whether it's karaoke or live shows by steel bands or other local talent. Happy hour, from 4 to 6pm, means half-price cocktails.
- Morgan's Mango (St. John; tel. 340/693-8141; www.morgansmango.com), across from the national park dock, is the hottest watering hole at Cruz Bay, or for the entire island. Look for special nights such as Live Music Night or Lobster Night.
- The Buccaneer (St. Croix; tel. 800/255-3881 or 340/773-2100; www.thebuccaneer.com): This deluxe hotel has the best nightlife on the island. Call to see what's going on during your visit; it could be anything from a limbo show to live reggae.
- Divi Carina Bay Casino (St. Croix; tel. 340/773-7529; www.diviresorts.com): At the Divi Carina Bay Resort, this glittering casino has introduced gambling to the U.S. Virgin Islands for the first time (if you don't count the island's buccaneering days). Built in the midst of a raging controversy over gambling, it boasts 12 gaming tables and 275 slot machines. Even though it's very touristy, the casino has become a hot spot for locals and visitors alike.
- Bomba's Surfside Shack (Tortola; tel. 284/495-4148): This is one of the most famous bars in the West Indies and the most interesting hangout in the British Virgin Islands. Bomba's decor consists of junk and neon graffiti. The rum punches are always flowing, and the hippest people in town show up here, especially for the notorious all-night full-moon parties.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.