- Taking a Vortex Tour in Sedona: Crystals and pyramids are nothing compared to the power of the Sedona vortexes, which just happen to be in the middle of some very beautiful scenery. Organized tours shuttle believers from one vortex to the next. If you offer it, they will come.
- Gazing at the Stars: Insomniacs and stargazers will find plenty to keep them sleepless in the desert as they peer at the stars through telescopes at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff or Kitt Peak National Observatory near Tucson. North of Flagstaff, you can even stay at a B&B that doubles as an astronomical observatory.
- Touring Walpi Village: It is said that the Hopi village of Walpi, built atop a narrow promontory-like mesa in northeastern Arizona, has been occupied for more than 1,000 years. Guided tours of this ancient, stone-walled village provide a glimpse into the history of the village and the Hopi culture.
- Marveling at a Meteorite Crater: East of the town of Winslow, you can visit the best-preserved meteorite impact crater in the world. The crater is 2 1/2 miles in circumference and 550 feet deep. In the 1960s, NASA even used the crater to train moon-bound astronauts.
- Sleeping in a Wigwam: Back in the heyday of Route 66, the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook lured passing motorists with its unusual architecture: concrete, wigwam-shaped cabins. Today, this little motel is still a must for anyone on a Route 66 pilgrimage.
- Titan Missile Museum: How would you like to find out what it feels like to have your finger on "the button"? At this former ICBM missile silo, now decommissioned and open to the public, you can find out.
- Stopping to Smell the Roses of the World's Largest Rose Plant: The town of Tombstone in southeastern Arizona is best known as the site of the shootout at the O.K. Corral, but the "town too tough to die" is also home to the world's largest rose tree.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.