There are two centrally located Auckland visitor centers: i-SITE Visitor Centre-Viaduct Basin, Princes Wharf, Quay and Hobson streets, downtown; and i-SITE Visitor Centre at the Atrium, SKYCITY Auckland, Victoria and Federal streets. Both are open daily from 8am to 8pm. They share a phone number and website (tel. 09/367-6009; www.aucklandnz.com).
The Takapuna i-SITE Visitor Centre, 49 Hurstmere Rd., Takapuna (tel. 09/486-8670; www.northshorenz.com), is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5pm; and Saturday, Sunday, and public holidays 10am to 3pm. The Devonport i-SITE Visitor Centre, 3 Victoria Rd., Devonport (tel. 09/446-0677; www.northshorenz.com), is open daily from 8:30am to 5pm. All are closed December 25. Other useful resources include the Department of Conservation Centre (tel. 09/379-6476; www.doc.govt.nz), which has information on walks, campgrounds, the gulf islands, and the national parks.
Online, you'll find endless amounts of information on Auckland at the following websites:
- www.aucklandnz.com: The home page of Tourism Auckland offers comprehensive listings of events in the Auckland region and helpful information for parents and families.
- www.maxx.co.nz: Auckland bus, ferry, and train information.
- www.aucklandcitylibraries.com: Information for parents and families.
- www.akcity.govt.nz/whatson: The Auckland City Council's guide to events in the city.
- www.northshorenz.com: Information on the North Shore.
- www.destination-waitakere.com: A source of information about the primary wine region of Auckland.
- www.manukau.govt.nz: Information on Manukau City.
- www.greatbarrier.aucklandnz.com: Information on Great Barrier Island.
- www.doc.govt.nz: The Department of Conservation's information on the national parks and marine reserves.
- www.waiheke.aucklandnzcom: Information on Waiheke Island.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.