Behind the weathered wooden doors of one of the finest and best preserved Baroque theatres in Europe is an ornate interior constructed entirely of wood, glowing with vivid reds and greens and festooned with gilded stuccowork and chandeliers. The house was built under the auspices of the Margravine Wilhelmine, and formally opened by her brother, Friedrick the Great, in 1748. The theater seats 520 and is used for Bayreuth’s other festival, the Musica Bayreuth, usually held late in May. Concerts are also given during the summer.
- Frommer's Staff