Margravine Wilhelmine’s love of the airy, flowered Rococo style shows through in this three-story horseshoe-shaped structure completed in 1754, shortly after the Margravine and her husband came into his inheritance. The decor created by the Italian stucco-master Pedrozzi is particularly evident in the Mirror Room, the Japanese Room, and the Music Room. The creative freedom the Margravine enjoyed in Bayreuth may well have counteracted a miserable childhood at the hands of distant royal parents and a sadistic governess who came close to crippling her; she was married off to the Margrave of Bayreuth against her wishes, and his, as he was in love with her sister, and his infidelities caused her no small amount of embarrassment in the court of Bayreuth. The Margravine, her husband, and daughter are buried in the nearby Schlosskirche (Castle Church), a lovely single-aisled church painted rose-pink and decorated with stuccowork.
- Frommer's Staff