The Tabernacle was built from locally quarried stone in a style that's an amalgam of Greek, Roman, Gothic, and Byzantine. The main stone, quartzite, is from Green Canyon, 8 miles northeast of Logan; the white limestone used for the corners and trimmings came from Idaho. Construction started in 1865 and took almost 27 years to complete. The main hall and balcony can accommodate about 1,800 people, and the pipe organ is a work of art. The pillars are made of wood that has been expertly painted to simulate marble, a technique widely used throughout pioneer Utah. Allow 30 minutes. The extensive genealogical library is open to the public.