- Galleria di Arte Moderna Santa Anna (Palermo): Located in an ex-convent of same name, the Modern Art Gallery showcases a fine collection of works from the 1900s onward, many of which were exhibited during various Biennales in Venice.
- Galleria Regionale della Sicilia (Palermo): This museum is home to some of the finest medieval artwork in Sicily; the stunning Triumph of Death, an anonymous work, will leave you gaping at the details for hours. Works by Sicily's very own Antonello Da Messina are also housed here, including his world-famous Annunciation.
- Museo Archeologico Regionale A. Salinas (Palermo): Partially closed for restoration until 2012, this former convent houses Sicily's greatest archaeological collection, among which is the exquisite Palermo Stone, inscribed with the chronicles of the Egyptian pharaohs until 300 B.C.
- Museo Archeologico Regionale di Agrigento (Agrigento): Tucked away in the Valley of the Temples is this extraordinary collection of artifacts from the ancient Akragas and the environs. The most impressive remains are the gargantuan telamoni, or giants, as tall as columns that held up the temples.
- Museo Archeologico Regionale Paolo Orsi (Syracuse): Syracuse's museum showcases what was once the power and wealth of the rival of Athens. The Landolina Venus is only one of the star pieces of the collections.
- Museo Regionale di Arte Mediovale e Moderna (Syracuse): The Palazzo Bellomo displays a priceless collection of Sicilian medieval and modern works, including The Burial of St. Lucy, from bad-boy artist Caravaggio, who sojourned here for a while. Another extraordinary work by Antonello da Messina, a more elaborate Annunciation, is also here.
- Riso: Museo d'Arte Contemporanea della Sicilia (Palermo): Set in the restored Palazzo Belmonte-Riso showcases the works of local, national, and international contemporary artists. As befits a new museum, a cafe, a bookshop, and a Wi-Fi hotspot are all on the premises.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.