Students -- and young folk in general -- are big in Amsterdam. There are two major universities in the city, the UA (University of Amsterdam) and the VU (Free University), and a number of colleges, schools of this and that, and other institutes of higher learning.

Check out the International Student Travel Confederation (ISTC) ( website for comprehensive travel services information and details on how to get an International Student Identity Card (ISIC), which qualifies students for substantial savings on rail passes, plane tickets, admission fees, and more. It also provides students with basic health and life insurance and a 24-hour helpline. The card is valid for a maximum of 18 months. You can apply for the card at STA Travel (; tel. 800/781-4040 in the U.S.; tel. 888/427-5639 in Canada; tel. 0871/230-0040 in the U.K.; tel. 021/427-9188 in Ireland; tel. 132 782 in Australia; tel. 0800/474400 in New Zealand), the biggest student travel agency in the world. If you're no longer a student but are still under 26, you can get an International Youth Travel Card (IYTC) from the same people, which entitles you to some discounts.

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.