If you are a student, you should apply for an International Student Identity Card (ISIC; www.isic.org), which qualifies you for substantial savings on rail passes, plane tickets, entrance fees, and more. It also provides basic travel insurance and a 24-hour help line. The card is valid for a maximum of 16 months.

You can apply for the card online or from STA Travel (www.statravel.com; tel. 800/781-4040 in the U.S. and Canada). Check the website to locate STA Travel offices worldwide.

If you’re no longer a student but are still under 26, you can get an International Youth Travel Card (IYTC) from the same people. It entitles you to some discounts.

Travel CUTS (www.travelcuts.com; tel. 800/667-2887) offers similar services for both Canadians and U.S. residents.

Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.