- Best in the Commercial Center: With its long, horseshoe-shaped bar and central location, the Horse Shoe, 17 Drury St. between Renfield and W. Nile streets (tel. 0141/229-5711), is a throwback to the days of so-called Palace Pubs in Scotland.
- Best in the Merchant City: Unless you are looking for a "style" bar (of which there are plenty), the Babbity Bowster, 16 Blackfriars St. (tel. 0141/552-5055), is ideal for a drink and some conversation.
- Best in the West End: The competition is furious and the selection is vast, but I'll give the nod to Brel, 39-43 Ashton Lane (tel. 0141/342-4966), for its combination of good ambience, excellent location, and decent Belgian-inspired grub.
- Best for Whisky: With a selection of single malts that numbers easily into the hundreds, the Pot Still, 154 Hope St. (tel. 0141/333-0980), is the place to go for a wee dram.
- Best for Rock Music: It's between the near legendary King Tut's Wah Wah Hut, 272 St. Vincent St. (tel. 0141/221-5279), and Nice 'n' Sleazy, 421 Sauchiehall St. (tel. 0141/333-9637) - both draw the best in local indie band talent.
Note: This information was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.